Omaha Hi-Lo Poker: Tips and Tricks You Must Know

Want to learn how to win at Omaha? Whether you’re a beginner or an expert, you’ll find something in this post to help you improve your game. 

An exciting and complex poker game, Omaha Hi-Lo is a popular variation of poker that combines some aspects of Texas Hold’em and Omaha. This game is played with a combination of two cards dealt face down, five community cards, and four hole cards. 

If you want to get the most out of your game, it’s important that you understand the fundamentals of the game as well as some tips for increasing your odds of winning. 

If you’re ready to head on down to a card room in Sacramento and take your poker game to a whole new level (and make some extra cash while doing so), this blog will fill you in on some tips and tricks when playing Omaha Hi-Lo!

The Basics of Omaha Hi-Lo Poker

Omaha Hi-Lo poker is a game of five community cards, four hole cards, and two downcards. 

The object of the game is to make your best hands with these thirteen cards. There are four different types of hands you can make: high hand (five cards, one of which must be an ace), low hand (five cards, none of which must be an ace), Omaha high (high hand plus two hole cards), and Omaha low (low hand plus two hole cards). 

Tips for Winning Omaha Hi-Lo Poker

There are plenty of tips and tricks out there to help you win at Omaha Hi-Lo poker. The following are a few tips to get you started on the right path to winning at Omaha Hi-Lo.

Winning Strategy: Know the Basics

You can dramatically increase your odds of winning in Omaha Hi-Lo by understanding the basics of the game. The following list includes some of the most important concepts to know before playing:

In Omaha, you’re dealt four hole cards instead of two and have a total of five community cards. This means that your starting hand will consist of six cards (4 hole cards + 2 community cards). 
There is no flop in Omaha Hi-Lo, meaning you must be very careful about what you’re betting when it’s not your turn. 
Some hole card combinations are stronger than others and may result in more money being won or lost.
Your best possible starting hand is A-A with two ‘high’ pairs (i.e., 10-J, Q-K).
You can use a ‘hi’ or ‘low’ hand, but if you do so then your other two hole cards must be low and vice versa. 
In this game, there is no limit on how many rounds you can go all-in.

Understand the different game types

Omaha Hi-Lo is played with five community cards and four hole cards. There are three different versions of Omaha Hi-Lo, depending on what you do with the “dealer’s” cards. 

If you discard your two cards, then it’s called “Omaha.” If you keep one card and discard one, it’s called “Hi-Lo.” And if you keep both cards and discard none, then it’s called “Pot Limit Omaha.”

Know how to calculate pot odds

Pot odds are the chances that a given wager will result in a profit. In this case, they’re telling you how likely it is that your hand will beat their hand or tie. To increase your odds of winning (and making some money in the process), always make a decision based on pot odds rather than individual probability. 

For example, if you have an 80 percent chance of winning with a given hand but only 10 percent of the pot is going to be yours if you win, then don’t go for it! That 10 percent is better spent elsewhere.

Play aggressively

If you’re playing aggressively, it means that you’re raising when you have the opportunity to do so. Playing aggressively helps to keep other players from folding their hands and also doubles your chances of winning by forcing other players to fold their hands because they don’t want to go all-in on a bad hand. 

It also forces people who have better hands than yours into making poor decisions. Finally, playing aggressively will often result in more pots than playing passively.

Omaha Hi-Lo Poker Variations

Omaha High Lo Poker is becoming increasingly popular as many poker players branch out from their traditional games like Texas Hold’em and start playing new variations such as Omaha High Lo Poker.

Omaha Hi-Lo Poker is played with a combination of two cards dealt face down, five community cards, and four hole cards. 

The best way to understand the game is to be familiar with the variations available. The most popular variation is the Pot Limit Omaha Hi-Lo Eight or Better (PLO8). In this variation, you can bet any amount within the limit that’s been set by the poker table. 

Another popular variation is Pot Limit Omaha High/Low (PLO8H), which has all other rules that are similar to PLO8, but allows you to split your hand into two different hands and have a high hand and a low hand. 

For example, if you have an up card of 8 and a down card of 4, you would put both hands in play for the showdown; one hand would include all of your hole cards (high) while the other would contain just your up card (low).

The last variation worth mentioning is Pot Limit Omaha Hi-Lo Split 8/Seven Card Stud (PLOS7), which follows all rules similar to PLO8H but with one major exception: instead of 5 community cards in play before splitting your hand into two hands, there are only 3 community cards.

A Final Word on Tips and Tricks for Winning Omaha Hi-Lo

Omaha hi-lo poker is one of the most popular versions of poker played online or in live venues like Sacramento card rooms, and for good reason. With a low buy-in and a high payout, it’s perfect for a night of gambling with friends or just to kill some time. 

The best way to increase your chances of winning is to develop a strategy. 

Author: Stella Castillo